Friday, November 18, 2011

HAM & APPLE PIE

I mentioned in the last entry about my ole' southern cookbooks I have. I counted and in the 3 books are 207 recipes and so far I have only tryed 13. First of all being born in the free state of Kansas and my great grandfather coming here from Kentucky in the Civil War, era. I feel like some of my language is a little southern and friends say as I read these cook books it's getting more so. I don't want to offend anyone if I said, "I've always thought the southerner's took life easy, maybe a little slower than Northerner's." I've found several recipes that taste ALOT better 4 hrs., a night, or day & night later. You kinda have to read between the lines on some of the recipes. I found one that I don't think my granddaughters could cook when it says put in Ice Box they would think they have to get a box and put ice in it. The first "refrigerators" were called "Ice Boxes." Just think if you had lived your life and never had anything to keep things cold except straw and a hole in the ground, a well, or dug a "cave" and someone invented a box [appliance] that would MAKE ICE! Laudy what a thing!!
Well, I made this the other day for lunch and the daughter-in-love dropped in so I sent some home with her. I didn't like it too well at lunch, my husband thought it was OK [that's about all you ever get out of him], BUT 4 hours later my sweet daughter-in-law called and wanted the recipe because she thinks it was DELICIOUS. I thought she was teasing but finally convinced me she REALLY did like it so here's the recipe.

HAM AND APPLE PIE Each time you see ( ) it is the 1/4 amount I made.

2 lbs cooked ham, cubed small, I used (8 oz.) sliced & I chopped; it was on sale.
4 or 5 tart apples, pared & sliced I used (2) small Gala
1/4 cup brown sugar I used (1 Tab.)
1/2 tsp. salt I used (1/8th tsp.)
1/2 tsp. pepper I used (1/8th tsp.)
1 tsp. cinnamon I used (1/4th tsp.)
2 Tab. butter I used (1/2 Tab.)
2 Tab. lemon juice I used (1/2 Tab.)
1/4 cup apple cider I didn't have any,what is 1 Tab. gonna do anyway?)

[later]
1 egg, slightly beaten I use large eggs so beat one up and it measured 1/4th cup I used (1 Tab.)
1/2 cup milk cup I used (2 Tab.) since there's 8 Tab. in 1/2 cup
2 Tablespoons shortening melted I used (1/2 Tab) I lived on a farm with milking cows all my life so my recipes say BUTTER. They'll find out how good it is for you one of these days!!!

Arrange 1/3 of the ham in a deep greased baking dish; (I used a 5'X9" bread pan for my 1/4th) cover with 1/3 of the apple slices and sprinkle with 1/2 the brown sugar, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Dot with 1 Tab. (?) butter. Repeat the process with another layer of ham, apple, brown sugar seasonings and butter, then continue until ham and apple slices are all used, leaving a layer of apple on top. Pour over all 2 Tablespoons (?) of lemon juice & ?apple cider. Cook covered, in a moderate oven 350 degrees about 20 minutes. Uncover and pour batter {below} over the top.
Batter: the last 4 items in the list of ingredients- egg, milk, butter & flour.
Bake uncovered in a modern oven 325 degrees about 25 minutes until crust is nicely browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment