Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Another Seasonal "Local Ingredients" Recipes

I didn't get this recipe here. It's an old, old recipe I & another lady figured out the ingredients when we ate it at a restaurant in Missouri. Our husband's were Dairy Board Members for their areas and they all met in KC for a monthly meeting. Sometimes they met with other area board members from differnt areas which was this meeting. Well, now that I got that over here it is.
Lake of the Ozarks Shrimp Salad
Line a large dinner plate with lettuce. Through the years I've discovered I like the good old cut lettuce (like the kind I raised in the garden) that is much taller than I ever let mine get but it is a beautiful dark green and delicious. I cut out the hard lighter part in the middle of the leaf.which allows you to open the leaf up and will line the plate nicely. Now take 2 dinner knives and make a (+) plus, laying them across each other. Now you have 4 equal sections. Fill in each with the
Following:
1. orange sections, or Mandarin Orange slices, drained are very good. [11 oz.]
2. Crushed pineapple, drained [small can]
3. English Walnut, pieces [amout desired]
4. Small shrimp or cut up into pieces.[amount desired] You can remove the knives now.
1 [8.75 oz.] can of Fruit Cocktail, juice and all, blend till mush
add: 4 Tab. Miracle Whip
4 tsp. Marashino Cherry Juice
I add 2 tsp. Splenda because when I grew up all canned fruit was in a heavy sweet syrup & now they are in their own juice, which is great but just not as sweet as I am used to. Blend all together with a hand whip. A SPOONFUL OF SUGAR MAKES ANYTHING GO DOWN BETTER.
Serve the dressing poured over the 4 sections. I love it, and cover each of the 4 fruits VERY well.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I just did for my evening meal. This amount serves 2 very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment