Thursday, April 2, 2009

Raisin Orange Sauce for your Easter Ham

My mother made this sauce for eating on our slice of ham at Easter. I still love it. I know everyone thinks they have to have Cherry sauce on ham but I really think this enhances the flavor of the ham where cherries overpower & deminish the flavor of the ham. You might want to try it.

Mix in a saucepan:
1 cup sugar
2 Tab. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tab. flour

Stir in:
1- 1/4 cup cup orange juice
1/4 cup. lemon juice
1/2 cup water
Cook over low heat, stirring until it boils. Boil 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and mix in:
1 Tab. butter
1 tsp. each of orange & lemon rind, grated
1/2 cup raisins.
Right now it will be a little thin in texture but let it set and cool awhile and it will thicken.
A bite of ham overed with this is just plain good eating!! I think.

Hint: I don't go buy a orange and lemon each time I make something that calls for rind. When I do buy an orange & lemon when they are on a good sale. I grate all the outside rind off at that time and freeze each in a little marked snack bag and put each in one freezer bag. When I need some rind I just get it out of the freezer and use what I need and put the rest back. Keeps a long time and freezing doesn't hurt it in your recipe. You can still eat your orange and make lemonaide . Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment