Saturday, September 19, 2009

"Space Center Houston" NASA Visitor Center

Thanks to a hometown boy visiting relatives at home. He asked when we were coming to Houston, TX. where he now lives. We said, where can we work? His reply was NASA! I sent off an update of our resume' and that's where we worked that winter. I don't know if I've told you that the resume's I did for us (with the help of a daughter & daughter in law) was a simple 1 page on the computer about our life before retirement with a space for Part-Time Seasonal above so each time we came home I could easily add at the top the last place we worked. A cover letter with both our names on it, told the kind of work we did that. I would add the last job at the top of the others when I added the last work place. It worked great. Easy for them to read what we'd done when they have 100's of applications to read. We were hired everywhere we applied. Their visitors center "Space Center Houston" is full of theatre's, rides, etc. that is all about space. As a worker there, you move from one to the other as you work. That allows lunch & breaks. The hard part was learning the introductions you say at each work station. When an employee shows up at your work station you move on to the next and what ever time you get there till you are bumped again you say what you are supposed to. In other words if you arrive at a theatre as it is starting you will give the introduction to that movie. If you arrive in the middle you sit down & enjoy the show. If you are still there at the end or arrive at the end you will give the exit. You move on to the next which may be a ride that makes you feel like you are in space and that of course has an introduction. This all works very well and you get to do a variety of things each day you work. There is no charges for anything in the Center for the guests. They just go from one thing to another like the workers do. They have a tram tour that you actually go into NASA. We were fortunate enough to be there when a crew came home from space. They will have a night that all their families & workers can come and they stand on the stage in front of you and tell about their trip and answer questions from the audience. Sign autographs afterwards. What a thrill!! We found a campground near the Center which is between Houston & Galveston. Galveston has a Marti Gra when New Orleans does and it is fun. Most of the people we worked with were young people and when they found out we were planning to go (just like everywhere) they treated us like Grandma & Grandpa telling us where to park near the end of the parade & as soon as it ends to get to our car and get out of there. They told us it gets wild after the parade. We did as we were told but hard telling all the fun things we could have gotten ourselves into. We didn't hear anything bad on the news the next day. We did come away with several Marti Gra necklaces my husband caught when they thew them off the floats passing by. It was a wonderful winter and again we only worked a few days with lots of time to see the area while we were there. Jeanette

2 comments:

  1. People are telling me they can't make a comment to me on this thing so I'm going to try to do it myself. I clicked on comment which brought up this box I am writing in. Now I will click on Post Comment below and see what happens.. I really would love to have comments back. If this doesn't work for me I'll check with a son & grandson & see if one of them can figure it out. If nothing else e-mail me at jbrose35@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked as you can see above. I did a blog afterwards to help you understand how to send me a message (with Blog it's always Comment) & (instead of send it is Post). The older I get the more complicated the world gets.

    ReplyDelete